QLogic® InfiniBand Basic Software
This software license applies only to QLogic customers.
All rights reserved.
These release notes describe the changes, fixes, known issues, and release details that apply to the QLogic Infiniband Basic software package for version 184.108.40.206.53.
The following changes and fixes have been made to the QLogic Infiniband Basic software package between versions 220.127.116.11.11 and 18.104.22.168.53. including the following software components:
- QLogic OFED+ Software
- QLogic SRP Software
- QLogic VNIC Software
- QLogic IB Tools Software
- See list of supported Operating Systems in Section 5 below
- Support for RHEL3 has been removed from this release.
Industry Standards Compliance
- Supports the OpenFabrics Enterprise Distribution (OFED) version 1.4 software package.
- Each of the Upper Layer Protocols (ULPs) support their appropriate industry standard. Please see the release notes, found in in the docs directory, for a particular ULP compliance level.
3. Bug Fixes
The following fixes have been made to the QLogic Infiniband Basic software package for version 22.214.171.124.53
A segmentation fault occured (by "hald") while stopping OFED on a host configured with multiple VNIC interfaces. The host will not hang if qlgc_vnic is running and one of the following occurs:
- Stop openibd with "service openibd stop"
- Start qlgc_vnic again without stopping the earlier instance with "service qlgc_vnic start"
- Stop qlgc_vnic with "service qlgc_vnic stop"
VNIC supports identification of HCA via PortGuid
ib_qlgc_srp_query IDs proper HCAs in multi-HCA system
The OFED stack now accepts a return of BUSY from the FM and throttles its retries for the given SA operation. This avoids undo stress on the FM and improves scalability.
4. Known Issues
The QLogic Infiniband Basic software package, version 126.96.36.199.53, has the following known issues:
Test Case mpi_fork failing when using openmpi
||Arbitrary fork() support is not supported in the OpenFabrics software stack. If you use fork() in your application, you must not touch any registered memory before calling some form of exec() to launch another process. Calling system() is safe. This limitation includes both native InfiniBand applications and MPI applications using a RDMA based implementation of MPI (such as OFED's openmpi and mvapich).
VNIC driver hangs during shutdown, This is a known problem in the Linux kernel in all releases prior to 2.6.27.
When installing QLogic Infiniband Basic or QLogic Infiniband Fabric Suite software packages on a server configured with Ethernet bonding , the server hangs when IPoIB bonding is being installed.
||When upgrading, installing or uninstalling QLogic Infiniband Basic software package, it is required to ensure that no InfiniBand based applications are running. Also make sure the ethernet ports being used to login to the server are not using bonding. For example use of IPoIB to ssh into a server and perform the install could cause the install to abort or hang when QLogic Infiniband Basic software package attempts to install/uninstall or upgrade IPoIB and related OFED components.
When a port is down and does not have a LID assigned. p1stats or p2stats will fail against the given port.
||The port counters can be accessed via the files in /sys/class/infiniband/hca/ports/portnumber/counters/
When using opensm, iba_report and fabric_info may incorrectly report the number of SMs in the fabric.
||It is recommended to use the QLogic Fabric Manager. It provides a much more complete and stable implementation of Fabric Manager redundancy.
unregister_netdevice hangs while restarting VNIC service on host with ipath HCA. This is a known issue in the Linux kernel in all releases prior to 2.6.27.
When cancelling out of HCA firmware update, the following message is output:
HCA update failed. Return code: 1
at /usr/bin/qlgc_firmware_tool line 264, STDIN line 2.
||The message can be ignored. It indicates the HCA firmware was not updated due to the user canceling the operation.
Due to a issue in the current Mellanox HCA Firmware code we have experienced an issue where a Connect-X HCA will freeze. There are three known environments where this may happen.
1) When using QLogic's IBA Capture command to gather data when reporting issues.
There is no alternative in this scenario and since the issue is sporatic, we still suggest that you use this command when gathering information to be sent to QLogic for support
2) When using iba_hca_rev. This utility reports the revision of the firmware on the HCA. The recommendation is NOT to use this command.
3) QLogic's firmware update tool. Unfortunately, any time a user runs the firmware update tool they will have to reboot the system, even if they didn't change the firmware.
If a user is running RedHat 5.0 (original version) and has installed the version of OFED that comes with that distribution they will encounter errors when installing IFS 4.4
||Perform the following command prior to performing the INSTALL:
rpm -e --nodeps --notriggers --noscripts openib-1.2 openib-1.1 open-iscsi-2.0.754
5. Additional Information
Included in this release:
- QLogic Infiniband Basic software package (188.8.131.52.53) which includes:
- QLogic OFED+ (184.108.40.206.9)
- QLogic SRP (220.127.116.11.12)
- QLogic VNIC (18.104.22.168.15)
- QLogic IB Tools (22.214.171.124.34)
- The following operating systems (X86_64) are supported this release:
- RedHat EL4 X86_64 (AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T):
- (Update 5) - 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp and 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELlargesmp, 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELsmp, and 2.6.9-55.0.12.ELlargesmp
- (Update 6) - 2.6.9-67.ELsmp and 2.6.9-67.ELlargesmp
- (Update 7) - 2.6.9-78.ELlargesmp and 2.6.9-78.ELsmp
- RedHat EL5 X86_64 (AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T):
- (Base) 2.6.18-8.el5
- (Update 1) 2.6.18-53.el5, 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
- (Update 2) 2.6.18-92.el5, 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5
- SuSE Enterprise (SLES) 10.0 X86_64 (AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T):
- (Base) 126.96.36.199-0.8-smp, 188.8.131.52-0.8-debug
- (SP1) - 184.108.40.206-0.12-smp, 220.127.116.11-0.12-debug
- (SP1 - Update 1) - 18.104.22.168-0.16-smp, 22.214.171.124-0.16-debug
- (SP2) 126.96.36.199-0.21-smp, 188.8.131.52-0.21-debug
- CPU model of Linux kernel can be identified by uname -m and /proc/cpuinfo as follows:
NOTE:Other combinations (such as i586 uname) are not supported at this time.
HCAs Supported in this release:
- The following models of the SilverStorm HCA 9000 PCI Express HCAs are supported:
QLogic Infiniband Basic software package (184.108.40.206.53) includes the following new features:.
- Updated to QLogic OFED+ version 1.4.
- ib_madeye module now included for viewing InfiniBand MAD, as part of default OFED IB Stack install.
- Added the capability to update the firmware on Connect-X HCAs. During
an automated install, all Connect-X HCAs will be checked to see if their
firmware is current and, if newer firmware is available, they will be
- Two new installation options are provided on the commandline, --user_queries
and --no_user_queries. --user_queries is the default. If user queries
are enabled at install time, one or two new files are written to the /etc/udev
file hierarchy. These new files change the mode of the /dev/infiniband/umad*
files, permitting non-root users to do SA/SM queries.
- Updated to QLogic OFED+ version 1.4 with support for SLES10 SP2 and RHEL5.2.
- All installation and uninstallation of QLogic Infiniband Basic software package components must be performed using the INSTALL and/or iba_config commands. If software is manually installed or uninstalled using other various methods (rpm, other scripts, etc), the installation on the system could become inconsistent and cause unreliable operation, in which case subsequent runs of INSTALL or iba_config may make incorrect conclusions about the configuration of the system and make incorrect recommendations. Should the system become inconsistently configured, its recommended to run INSTALL and ReInstall all components while carefully reviewing all prompts and choices.
- On SuSE systems, NETWORKMANAGER must be set to "no" in /etc/sysconfig/network/config. This is the default.
QLogic, the QLogic logo, QLA, FastFabric, vFabric, SANbox, and SANsurfer are registered trademarks and SmartWrite is a trademark of QLogic Corporation. SANtrack and SAN Express are trademarks of QLogic Corporation.
All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of
their respective owners.
Information furnished in this document is believed to be accurate and reliable.
However, QLogic Corporation assumes no responsibility for its use, nor for any
infringements of patents or other rights of third parties which may result
from its use. QLogic Corporation reserves the right to change product
specifications at any time without notice. Applications described in this
document for any of these products are only for illustrative purposes. QLogic
Corporation makes no representation nor warranty that such applications are
suitable for the specified use without further testing or modification. QLogic
Corporation assumes no responsibility for any errors that may appear in this
8. Contacting Support
Please feel free to contact your QLogic approved reseller or QLogic
Technical Support at any phase of integration for assistance. QLogic
Technical Support can be reached by the following methods:
Go to Top
© Copyright 2009. All rights reserved worldwide. QLogic, the QLogic logo, and the Powered by QLogic logo are registered trademarks of QLogic Corporation. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.